Jump to Navigation

Special Visas

Investor, Religious Worker and Student Visas

On this page, we discuss just a few of the many special visas: investor visas, religious worker visas, and student visas.

E-2 Investor Visas

These visas are for people who wish to come to the USA and invest in a business.

  • Native country must have a treaty with the United States
  • Investment must be equal to or greater than half the total value of business
  • Applicant must be qualified to manage such a business

Premium processing may be available for certain visa applications ()i.e., H-1B, L1A, and E-2). By paying an additional filing fee of $1225.00, the USCIS will process the application in 2 weeks instead of 3-4 months.

Religious Visas

  • R-1 temporary visas: These last up to five years. The applicant must apply for a religious position and prove that he or she has been a member of the same denomination for the preceding two years. The sponsoring agency must be a religious organization.
  • I-360 permanent resident visas: The applicant must prove that he or she has been a member of the denomination for the past two years and has been employed in a religious position during that two year period immediately proceeding the filing of the application.

For both types of religious visa, there is no systemic delay, and labor certification is not required, but a background investigation is required.

F-1 Student Visas

  • The applicant's chosen school must qualify with the Attorney General in the state in which the school is located. The school will give the prospective student an I-20 form after he or she pays a deposit against tuition. The student must present that form with certain other information (such as financial wherewithal). It may take four or five months to obtain the visa.
  • The visa holder can maintain student status for up to 15 years as long as he or she remains enrolled in an approved educational institution.
  • Once the student has been in student status for more than six months, the student may apply for "change in circumstances" certification to obtain permission to be employed.

K-1 Fiancé Visas

We also assist in obtaining K-1 visas for fiancés of USCs. The parties must have been in physical contact with each other during the 12 months prior to filing for the visa. Once the alien comes to the United States, he or she has 90 days in which to marry the American. If he marries the American in that time, he can immediately apply for permanent residence. This process will take about five months.

J. Bruce Weinman, Esq.

facebook Google Plus

Quick Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email: weinman@inslawyers.com

Attorney Advertising